For any questions, please feel free to contact Don Icenhower.
Phone: (864) 578-0128
Email: Don Icenhower
To schedule an appointment, please contact Dale Smith.
Phone: (864) 578-0128
Students must attend the school that serves their legal residence in accordance with the local school attendance zones established by the Board of Trustees.
Exceptions are as follows:
A request for an exception to a student assignment may be approved by the superintendent or his/her designee when the school capacity and program of the requested placement can accommodate the request and when one of the following conditions exists:
- Concluding Grade
Students who qualify for the highest grade placement in their respective schools and who change legal residence within Spartanburg District Two shall be permitted to attend their last year in the school in which they were legally enrolled at the end of the preceding school year with administrative approval.
- Family Relocation
The family has moved or will move from one attendance zone to another during the course of a school year or can demonstrate definite plans to do so prior to the beginning of a new school year. Proof of residence purchase, rental or lease agreement, or other appropriate documentation must be provided. The request may be to allow completion of the year at the current school or to begin the new year at the new school prior to actual relocation.
The family demonstrates unreasonable hardship and provides evidence that constant concern exists due to unavailability of after school care in reasonable proximity to the school and that a more appropriate childcare placement is available at another school location.
- Social or Emotional Adjustment
The family or school personnel, after consideration of reports from professional counsel, requests that a pupil be placed in a different school for reasons of social or emotional adjustment. The parent shall provide documentation of ongoing professional counsel.
Child of School Employee
The student is the child of a school employee and the request is to place the child in the school where the parent is employed or in the school with the appropriate grade level nearest the employee's work location.
Attendance transfer requests should be submitted between February 1st and April 15th preceding the ensuing school year to enable the district to address staffing needs and budgetary considerations. No transfer requests will be approved once the school year has begun.
South Carolina law has a provision that allows parents/guardians to request that their child attend school in a school district outside their residence area. Spartanburg District Two will consider a nonresident student for enrollment provided the following requirements have been met:
- The student qualifies for enrollment (e.g., proper enrollment age, proper immunizations, in good standing from former school [not expelled], etc.);
- The parent/guardian pays tuition in the amount equal to the prior year's local revenue per child raised by the millage levied for the school district operations and debt service. If any real property is owned within the boundaries of District Two in the name of the student or by the parent/guardian, the school district will reduce the tuition amount by the amount of the school taxes paid to the district on that property.
- An application is submitted and approved by the requested school's principal as well as the superintendent or his/her designee; and,
- The student is released from attendance by the school district Board of Trustees of the school system of his/her residence. (A letter must be on file at the school district's Office of Student Services from the appropriate school district releasing the student for enrollment in Spartanburg District Two. The release letter must state the appropriate school year of the release).
If a student is approved for an assignment outside of his/her designated attendance zone or to District Two from a neighboring school system or to a school outside of District Two, the following conditions will apply:
- Student assignment is approved for the current school year only. Student assignments are evaluated each year by the school and district administration. Transfer students are expected to display good behavior, good attendance and maintain good grades in order to be considered for continued transfer placement.
- Transportation will not be provided by the school district. The parent must provide a safe and reliable method of transportation for the student.
- Eligibility requirements for interscholastic activities for secondary students may be affected as specified by the rules of the South Carolina High School League. Parents should discuss this matter with a high school athletic director if they have any questions.
- Failure by the student or parent/guardian to comply with the policies or programs of the requested school or to cooperate with the school administration and/or staff may result in immediate revocation of the student's assignment to that school.
Transfer Requests are either approved or denied by a committee and notification of the results will be sent to parents by email or regular mail. Any appeals must be submitted in writing to the Superintendent within seven business days.
No student shall be refused admission into or be excluded from any of the schools in Spartanburg District Two because of race, creed, color or national origin.